International Long Distance FAQ
- What is SAFELINK ILD?
Safelink ILD makes it easy for safelink Wireless customers to make international calls at the same cost as a local call usually one unit per minute.
- What does the call go to TRACFONE?
When you dial the 1-800-706-3839 ILD number to get connected Internationally it says “Welcome to TRACFONE” because your SafeLink service is provided by TracFone.
- What do I need to use SAFELINK ILD?
We have good news for you! If you already own a SAFELINK phone and use it for regular calls, you can now dial directly from your SAFELINK to over 100 international destinations including Mexico just by calling 1-800-706-3839 and following the instructions . Note: From Alaska, Hawaii, and the U.S. Virgin Islands please dial 305-938-5673 instead. This service is already available in your SAFELINK or SafeLink phone! If you don’t have a SafeLink, what are you waiting for?
- How much does SAFELINK ILD cost?
SAFELINK ILD deducts the same amount of units from your phone as when you make a local call. In other words, you can make international calls from the United States to over 100 international destinations for the cost of a local call. This way SAFELINK Wireless lets you stay close to family and friends in other countries with the convenience of calling whenever and wherever you want. The units will be deducted when the call is attempted. (As soon as you dial the number accessing ILD)
- Can I make long distance calls from other cell phones or landlines?
No. The SAFELINK ILD service is only available to SafeLink or TracFone Wireless customers who make their international calls directly from their cellphone (please refer to the list of over 100 destinations available).
- Is there an additional cost for this service?
No, there is no additional cost. The same minute deductions to make a regular call will be deducted when making an international long distance call using SafeLink International Long Distance. Note: minutes will be deducted from the moment you dial the International Long Distance access number until you hang up, even if the international call does not get through.
- Do I need a card or a PIN number to make long distance calls using SAFELINK ILD?
No, with SafeLink International Long Distance the minutes are deducted from the balance available on your SafeLink phone (displayed on the screen). All you need is to dial the International Long Distance access number, and enough minutes on your SafeLink for you to call internationally!
- Can I dial the international destination number directly or do I need to dial the SAFELINK ILD access number first?
You need to dial the access number for ILD first: 1-800-706-3839. You will then be prompted to select your language and dial 011 plus the country code and number. (Note: for Canada, do not dial 011).
- Do I have to provide my credit card?
No. With SafeLink International Long Distance, no contracts are required, no accounts, no credit checks and no credit card requirements. You just need enough minutes on your phone to make the call, and to add airtime cards before your due date to maintain your service active.
- Does the cost vary based on the international destination?
No. The same minutes will be deducted as they are currently deducted on calls you make with your SafeLink to destinations in the United States.
- What happens if the connection fails when I make a call using SAFELINK ILD? Will I be able to retrieve my minutes?
SAFELINK Wireless doesn’t credit minutes for attempted local or international calls that couldn’t go through.
- What is the difference between SAFELINK ILD and SAFELINK International Neighbors?
SafeLink International Neighbors is a service that allows you to obtain AT NO CHARGE three Mexican or Canadian phone numbers, which your family and friends (in those countries) can dial, and you will receive those calls directly at your SafeLink phone in the United States. With SafeLink International Neighbors your family and friends in Mexico or Canada won’t pay international long distance charges, and you will pay just a regular call. SafeLink International Long Distance is a FREE service that allows you to make calls to over 100 international destinations from your SafeLink phone at a cost of a regular call.
- What is the difference between SAFELINK ILD and SAFELINK Frequent Numbers?
SafeLink Frequent Numbers allows you to make the dialing of international calls faster and easier, providing you AT NO CHARGE ten US 1-800 numbers you can assign to the most frequent international destinations (from our worldwide coverage) you dial from your SafeLink phone. SafeLink International Long Distance is a FREE service that allows you to make calls to over 100 international destinations from your SafeLink phone at a cost of a regular call.
- Can I make International calls with SAFELINK ILD while I am roaming? What is the additional cost?
Yes, you can make international ILD calls while in roaming. The same minute deduction will apply as when in roaming within the United States. Regular roaming charges will apply when dialing long distance or international.
- Can I receive international calls to my SAFELINK cell phone? How many minutes will be deducted?
Yes, the same amount of minutes will be deducted as when you receive a call from a local phone. In addition, if you use our FREE SafeLink International Neighbors service, your family and friends in Mexico or Canada can dial a phone number in those countries to call you at your SafeLink phone, so that they don’t have to pay international long distance charges! Please refer to the section SafeLink International Neighbors for more information.
- What should I dial to make an ILD call from my SAFELINK cell phone?
Please note that if you use our FREE SafeLink Frequent Numbers service, you will not be required to dial the International Long Distance access number. Please refer to the SafeLink Frequent Numbers section in this web site for more information.
- Dial 1.800.706.3839, the access number for SafeLink International Long Distance (From Alaska, Hawaii, and the U.S. Virgin Islands please dial 305-938-5673 instead).
- Choose the desired language (1. English 2. Spanish) Listen to the instructions. After selecting language dialing instructions can be interrupted any time and you can skip to step 3.
- Dial 011 + city code + telephone number (For Bahamas, Bermuda, Canada and Dominican Republic just dial: 1+city code + telephone number)
- Should I have a certain minimum amount of minutes on my SAFELINK to dial internationally?
There is no minimum amount of minutes you need to use this service, however since SAFELINK is a prepaid cell phone service look at your airtime balance display to see how many minutes you have left and determine if that is enough. Also be sure to keep your phone active by adding minutes before the due date displayed on your phone.
- Who can I call if I am having problems with my SAFELINK ILD?
Please phone our support center or Customer Service at 1-800-867-7183.
- If by mistake I dial the wrong number will I be credited for the call?
SAFELINK wireless will not credit units used because you dialed the wrong number, or for delays in getting through to the international number.
- Are additional international destinations going to be added?
Yes, we plan to have new international destinations. If you don’t find the international destinations are the ones you call, please return to the site to view updated lists of available destinations.
- Can I cancel SAFELINK ILD?
Cancellation is not necessary. It’s easy. Just don’t use the service.
- Can I lock my phone so no one else can make ILD calls?
Review your phone manual for instructions on how to lock your phone.?
- Do I need a special card to use the SAFELINK ILD service?
There is no need to buy any long distance card. The minutes you add to your SAFELINK are the ones used when you make international calls, that is, there is no extra cost!
- Is SAFELINK ILD available from any SAFELINK?
Yes, SafeLink International Long Distance works with all SafeLink models. If you already own a SafeLink and use it for regular calls, just dial the access number 1-800-706-3839 (from Alaska, Hawaii, and the U.S. Virgin Islands dial 305-938-5673 instead) and follow the instructions. If you are a new customer, buy, activate, and add airtime to your new SafeLink, and the SafeLink International Long Distance service will be automatically available after 48 business hours.
- What international calls can I make from the United States?
You can make calls to any international destination on the list below. Calls to cellular phones are not included unless the word “Cellular” is specifically listed next to the country name (numbers in parentheses indicate the Country Code).
Available International Destinations are subject to change without prior notice.